For your convenience, we provide the following information to assist with travel planning. Attendees of the CBMI 2014 can easily reach Klagenfurt by airplane, train & car or by a combination of these options.
Take a look at the map below to see the different combination possibilities and distances from other airports:
Travel by car
There are two main motorways in Austria leading to Klagenfurt, namely the A2 (Südautobahn) and the A10 (Tauernautobahn).
- From the east/Vienna: A2 motorway towards Graz and Klagenfurt (Graz – Klagenfurt approx. 130 km)
- From the north/Salzburg: A10 motorway to Klagenfurt (Salzburg – Klagenfurt approx. 240 km); extra toll between the “Tauerntunnel” and “Katschbergtunnel” (€ 9.50)
- From the north/Linz: A9 motorway towards Graz then A2; or A10 motorway towards Salzburg and then A10 to Klagenfurt
- From the north/Germany/Tyrol: via Kufstein – Mittersill – Felbertauerntunnel (toll) – Lienz -Villach – Klagenfurt (no motorway but scenic drive)
- From the south: A2 motorway (A23 in Italy) via Udine – Tarvisio or A11 motorway from Slovenia, toward Villach and Klagenfurt
For the Klagenfurt University leave the A2 motorway at “Klagenfurt West” exit “Minimundus/Klagenfurt Wörthersee”, straight ahead to the “Wörthersee Süduferstraße”, and after approximately 200 meters turn left to the university. There are a sufficient number of parking lots around the university area (This is a pay parking lot).
During summer vacation time an increased volume of traffic is to be expected, resulting in traffic jams with possible delays up to several hours, especially on weekends between Salzburg and Villach on the A10!
Note: Motorways are toll roads and vehicles require a so-called “Vignette” which is available at motoring organizations like ÖAMTC, ARBÖ, gas stations (AE)(also at the border in neighboring countries), etc.
Travel by train
Arrival at train station „Hauptbahnhof Klagenfurt“. Further details can be found at “ÖBB – Österreichische Bundesbahn” and connection queries at http://fahrplan.oebb.at. Alternatively you may contact “DB – Deutsche Bahn” with connection queries at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de
To get to the university from the train station refer to public transport in Klagenfurt or take a taxi.
Travel by airplane
Klagenfurt airport (airport code: KLU) is easily accessible from the major airports like Vienna, Munich, Berlin or Frankfurt. Regular flights between Vienna/Munich and Klagenfurt are offered several times a day. Star Alliance partners such as Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines operate numerous flight from many parts of the world via their Frankfurt, Munich or Vienna hubs.
Additional low-cost carriers operate flights to Klagenfurt and destinations in the vicinity of Carinthia (Graz, Salzburg, Trieste and Ljubljana are all within an hour and a half’s drive). Germanwings offers direct flights to Klagenfurt from Berlin, Hamburg and Köln.